Thursday, June 26, 2014

REMEMBERING FRANCES MILLER

I met Frances Miller in 2011 when she was 94 years old.   She passed away yesterday, at home and in the presence of family, at age 97.

I knew Frances for just that short time, and I certainly didn't know her well; but I knew her well enough that she is on my (short) list of favorite people.   Frances was Lynn Lockard's mom....Lynn and Pam have been very good friends for many years.

I would see Frances (and Lynn) each time I dropped Pam off at their home in New Hampshire, and then I would go on to Maine to visit my (now 90 year old) mom.   Frances always had a smile and some very nice things to say.  She always waved goodbye as we left to go back home after our visits.....and this was after a pretty good hug or two.

I remember the time we took our dog, Ali, with us on one of the visits...and Ali and Frances "hit it off" right away.   Ali put her head in Frances' lap, and kept it there while Frances patted her.   My favorite memory of Frances was when she and Lynn came to Littleton to join us for an afternoon tea.  Pam and I laid out the good china cups and offered up a few kinds of tea along with fresh made scones with English clotted cream and home made jam.   We all had a great time...and I will always remember Frances saying "oh look a real afternoon tea" as she sat down at the table.  And the smile on her face right then was timeless.   

Rest in peace, Frances.

No comments:

Post a Comment